You are probably reading the title of this post and thinking: Gross. It’s okay, I had the same reaction at first. But I just had to try making dark chocolate hummus because it sounds so unique.
This is the perfect party appetizer because of its unique and unexpected flavour. To eyes, it looks like it would taste like chocolate dip (it does not). And considering its name, I expected it to taste like hummus (it does not). It is quite confusing to the senses but I think it is definitely a hit!
I recommend serving this recipe with Cinnamon pita chips or apples for a healthier combo.
The flavour of this hummus is difficult to describe. It’s got soft chocolatey taste with hint of sweetness and peanut butter.
You will need:
- 1/2 can garbanzo beans (rinsed well, skins removed)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate cocoa powder
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Rinse the garbanzo beans and place in a bowl. To give an extra creamy texture to your hummus, you’ll want to remove the outer shell of each bean.
- Once the beans are de-shelled and rinsed, place in the food processor with other ingredients. You may need to add more milk depending on the texture or more sugar depending on your preferences.
- Once a desired texture( and sweetness) is reached, scoop hummus into a bowl and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Serve with apple slices or cinnamon pita chips.
What do you think of this dark chocolate hummus?