Today, we are going to talk about snacking!
- Is snacking healthy?
- What are some filling snack ideas?
- Is late night snacking unhealthy?
Snacking is meant to tide us over between meals. In general, it is said that we should eat every 2-3 hours but it is not a universal recommendation and can vary person to person.
My eating schedule includes:
- 5:30 AM -6 AM — Snack # 1
- 9 AM -10 AM — Breakfast
- 1 PM -2 PM — Lunch
- 4 PM -5 PM — Snack # 2
- 7 PM -8 PM — Dinner
- 9 PM – 10 PM — Snack # 3
Smart snacking is really important for you and your body. Snacking between meals prevents us from becoming extremely hungry that we overeat or choose foods that are low in nutrients ( i.e. high sugar, high saturated fat).
LATE NIGHT SNACKING
One of the major concerns regarding late night snacking is : Will I gain weight if I snack at night?
Late Night Snacking is controversial but here is my answer: If you are sleeping around 10pm and eating dinner at 6pm or 7pm, it is okay to have a little snack before bed.
Late night snacking becomes an issue when:
- People eat late at night out of habit
- People eat energy-dense, low- nutrient snacks
- People snack at night because the dinner they had did not compose of foods that sustain fullness
WHAT EXACTLY DOES HEALTHY SNACKING INCLUDE:
Snacks should always include protein and healthy fats. Protein and fats take longer to absorb, therefore help sustain fullness. Eating carbohydrates alone as snacks will keep us least full. But if you are snacking before a workout, carbohydrate-dense snack is optimal. Why? For quick energy!
HEALTHY, FILLING SNACKING OPTIONS:
- Carrots, cucumbers, peppers (Carbs) + hummus (Protein)
- Apples (Carbs) + Nut butters (Protein/Fat)
- Yogurt (Protein/Fat) + Fruit ( Carbs) + Granola (Carbs)
- Avocado (Fat)
- Whole Wheat Crackers (Carbs)+ Cheese (Protein)
- Celery Sticks (Carbs) + Peanut Butter ( Protein/Carbs)
- Banana (Carbs) + Peanut Butter (Protein/Carbs)
- Boiled Chickpeas (Protein) + Fruit (Carbs)
- Hard Boiled eggs (Protein) + Fruit (Carbs)
- Brussel Sprouts (Carbs) + Yogurt ( Protein
- Veggies (Carbs) + Avocado Dip ( Healthy Fat/ Protein)
- Whole Wheat toast/ crackers (Carbs) + Fruit (Carb)
QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS?
Leave’ em below 🙂